Meet Bill Wolfson
I am a third-generation resident of Hunterdon County, New Jersey. My family has lived and worked here since 1918 when my grandfather bought a farm near Frenchtown. In 1938, he and my uncle started a farm equipment sales and service business. I have lived and worked in Hunterdon County practically all of my 63 years, along with Barbara, my wife of over 35 years. I attended Hunterdon Central High School and graduated in 1969. My friends when I was growing up are still my friends, and often my clients.
In 1973 I graduated from Temple University in Philadelphia and attended Widener University School of Law. I graduated from Widener in 1976 and joined a small insurance defense firm where I learned how to try cases in front of a judge and jury. I convinced my boss that we should have a practice in bankruptcy and debtor/creditor law, and began a successful practice that has continued to this day serving national clients, local businesses and individuals.
In 1978 I began my own practice focusing on bankruptcy. I truly enjoy what I do, and I like to think I make a real difference in people’s lives. Because bankruptcy cuts across all areas of law and involves many very difficult challenges, my decades of experience in different areas of the law and with people from all backgrounds lets me better help my clients through tough, often painful times. Saving a home, farm or business from loss is why I get up in the morning. I know how rough this time can be for the average person. That is why our first office meeting is at no charge.
I spend a considerable amount of time attending continuing legal education courses and seminars so I can better serve my clients. I have served as a mediator and arbitrator for our state and federal court system. My professional achievements include:
- Successfully tried adversary proceeding resulting in $720,000 Chapter 11 claim preserved as a secured claim against debtor’s recycling company.
- Won judgment declaring legal malpractice claim non-dischargeable in bankruptcy and successfully defended ruling in the United States District Court.
- Successfully obtained $3.1 million dollar judgment for Chapter 11 debtor against limited partner and defended judgment on appeal to United States District Court.
- Argued before the New Jersey Supreme Court to establish standards for creating lien priority under Garage Keepers Lien Act for auto leasing companies.
- Successfully negotiated and concluded purchase of British division of American Chapter 7 debtor corporation.
- Helped establish Southern New Jersey Bankruptcy Inn of Court.
- Presenter on Bankruptcy Nondischargeability Litigation for New Jersey Bankruptcy Inn of Court